I know many of you have seen this, but my Mom shared it with me (thank you, Mom!) and once again it made me smile. I’ve added a few notes of my own. I hope you enjoy!
The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from birth to 18 and came up with $160,140.00 for a middle income family. Talk about price shock! That doesn’t even touch college tuition. But $160,140.00 isn’t so bad if you break it down.
It translates into:
* $8,896.66 a year,
* $741.38 a month,
* $171.08 a week.
* A mere $24.24 a day!
* Just over a dollar an hour.
Still, you might think the best financial advice is ; don’t have children if you want to be ‘rich.’ Actually, it is just the opposite.
What do you get for your $160,140..00?
* Naming rights. First, middle, and last!
* Glimpses of God every day..
* Giggles under the covers every night.
* More love than your heart can hold….I love my children so much it makes my heart hurt.
* Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs.
* Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
* A hand to hold usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
* A partner for blowing bubbles and flying kites.
* Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said or how your stocks performed that day.
For $160,140.00, you never have to grow up. You get to:
* carve pumpkins,
* play hide-and-seek,
* catch lightning bugs,
* never stop believing in Santa Claus.
You have an excuse to:
* keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and Pooh and sing the Winnie the Pooh song!
* watch Saturday morning cartoons or Noggin anytime!
* go to Disney movies, and
* wish on stars while laying in the hammock.
You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand prints set in clay for Mother’s Day, and cards with backward letters for Father’s Day.
For a mere $24.24 a day, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to be a hero just for:
* retrieving a Frisbee off the roof,
* taking the training wheels off a bike,
* removing a splinter,
* filling a wading pool,
* coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and
* coaching a baseball or basketball team that never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.
You get a front row seat in history to witness the:
* First step,
* First word,
* First jock strap (this originally said bra!),
* First date,
* F irst time behind the wheel.
You get to be immortal. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you’re lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and great grandchildren. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice, communications, and human sexuality that no college can match. In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed, patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and love them without limits, so one day they will, like you, love without counting the cost.
That is quite a deal for the price!!!!!!!
I love being a Mommy. It’s the best job I’ve ever had. Thank you, Rhett (and Dr. Miller!) for making me a Mom and thank you Reece, Garett, Logan, Harry, Chloe, Bella, Humphrey, Stephanie and Stitch for KEEPING me in a job! The benefits are ENDLESS!!
Until Next Time, I’m Fondly Yours,
Queen of the I LOVE Being a Mommy Club!